Remodeling your kitchen requires a lot of brainstorming – there’s a lot of redesigning, choosing of appliances, and canvasing of materials; however, most homeowners don’t just settle on aesthetics when redesigning their kitchen. Believe it or not, many homeowners actually take into consideration feng shui when remodeling their kitchen, and that’s not necessarily a bad idea. If you’re the type to believe that a well-organized space can give you prosperity and wealth, then this is definitely right up your alley. If you happen to be a skeptic, many feng shui principles lend themselves to a more aesthetically pleasing design, so why not give it a try? Here are some tips for implementing feng shui in your kitchen:
1. Put your kitchen anywhere except the center. Placing your kitchen in the center of the house is very risky and not secure. It would be better to have the kitchen in a corner, and it’s best to install windows for better lighting. Also, placing the kitchen sink by the window is said to attract good luck.
2. Balancing colors. Try to stay away from colors that don’t blend well. For one, it won’t be pleasing to the eyes. Though you can choose any color, feng shui principles dictate that yellow is the best choice. Yellow is said to be good for digestion, and that’s exactly what you want when you’re in the kitchen preparing and eating your food.
3. Clean up. No one wants a dirty kitchen, and feng shui tenets recommend keeping a clean kitchen as well. The kitchen is thought to be a symbolic extension of how we nurture ourselves, so as much as possible, de-clutter and put away unnecessary items in the kitchen, just to tidy things up.
4. Incorporate the Earth Element. Although you can choose whichever color you would like your kitchen, it also a good idea to redesign it with earth elements. This involves using earth-toned materials and colors (such as a natural bamboo cabinet or neutral-colored granite) to give your kitchen that earthy feel. This is encouraged because it is believed that the earth element gives us a grounding energy, which is important when we deal with fire and sharp objects which are mostly found in kitchens.
5. Position your stoves and burners well. There are certain positions your appliances should be in when you strictly follow feng shui, but this is also unavoidable at times. It would be best to position your stoves and burners in such a way that, when you cook, your back won’t be facing the door. If this is unavoidable, just place a mirror or a reflector behind the stove. This keeps the cooks empowered.
6. Decorate. Ample food symbolizes prosperity, so it helps to use food to evoke a more prosperous living. To evoke prosperity in your kitchen, you can try decorating your kitchen with decorative items that involve fruits and other nurturing food.
7. Comfort and safety are Key. When redecorating, always keep in mind that you want your kitchen to give off positive vibes at all times. The kitchen is where you prepare meals for yourself and your loved ones, and you want to feel your best as you do this. Decorate your kitchen with things that make you comfortable and safe, and try to stay away from too many sharp edges and other things that may cause unintended injury
8. Soft tables over pointed ones for the dining table. Aside from the fact that pointed glass tables are a hazard especially when you have kids, soft-shaped tables that are oval or round in shape, should be preferred. This is because it promotes good Ch’i circulation.
One of the best things about incorporating feng shui in your kitchen is that it helps you create an organized, nurturing, comfortable and most importantly, safe environment within your home. It will not only benefit the cook, but the whole family as well.