If you’re in the market for some new kitchen cabinets, you’ll have to decide if you want them purchased and delivered in one of two ways. Usually, you’ll have the choice between assembled cabinets and RTA kitchen cabinets online (Ready-to-Assemble). Which one should you choose?
There are pros and cons of each; many experts agree, however, that there are several reasons to opt for RTA cabinets. Following is a breakdown of the pros and cons of each type in order to help you choose the best option for your situation:
Assembled kitchen cabinets are already put together when they are delivered to the customer. They will have been built by the manufacturer and are completely ready to be installed in your home.
- Everything is complete, down to the drawers and pieces of hardware.
- If you’re in a rush to complete your project, this may be an option that’s good for you.
- No guesswork or effort is required; just unpack and install.
However, there are some drawbacks to assembled cabinets:
- The Expense: The most significant con is that assembled cabinets are much more expensive than ready to assemble cabinets because of the manufacturing cost and extra labor.
- The Shipping: Expect much longer shipping lead times due to the fact that the cabinets are not actually built until after you order them.
- The lack of customization can be a common issue, especially if there is a problem that isn’t realized until after the cabinets have been shipped, delivered, and unpacked.
- Oftentimes, assembled cabinets cannot be returned.
- Shipping costs are also more expensive due to the larger size of the shipments of completed cabinetry.
RTA kitchen cabinets are very popular for many good reasons. The preference of many people, these cabinets offer several benefits with only a couple of drawbacks:
- Buyers need to put them together
- Extra time is needed for completion at the job site before installation
However, most people feel that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks:
- RTA kitchen cabinets are much less expensive than assembled cabinets
- Buyers can ensure for themselves that the cabinets are built to their expectations
- Shipping and delivery times are much shorter
- Features like dovetail drawers, six-way adjustable hinges, and all-wood construction are available, possibly with a “mix and match” option for more customized final product
- They can often be returned or switched for a number of reasons
- Shipping costs are lower due to cabinets being packed in smaller containers
Before you choose between assembled and RTA cabinets, consider your project, your needs, your preferences, your timeline, and your budget carefully. With the right amount of research, preparation, and due diligence, you can strike an excellent and beneficial balance between cost and time, effort and convenience when you purchase RTA kitchen cabinets online.