Wood kitchen cabinets are more popular than its metal counterparts because of its luxurious yet natural and homey feel. Homeowners choose wood kitchen cabinets because of its sturdiness, endurance, and low-maintenance. Not to mention it is cheaper than the metal cabinets which require a lot of labor to make.
Whether you are planning to make your own wood kitchen cabinet or asking a professional to build one, you should be knowledgeable about the kinds of wood they are made of. Depending on the material, the design and the price of the wood kitchen cabinets will differ greatly. But each material has its own charm and it is up to you to decide which will fit your kitchen style well.
The Right Materials for Kitchen Wood Cabinets
- Oak is the most common choice as materials for wood kitchen cabinets. It is very easy to find because it grows almost everywhere aroundthe world. It is also very durable and it will give your kitchen a natural look. Oak also takes wood stain well and, with the right stain, it can give a darker look to the wood.
- Pine wood is also an ideal material in making wood kitchen cabinets. You can find wood kitchen cabinets made of ponderosa, white, and yellow pine woods a common sight because of the materials’ versatility. Ponderosa pine, however, is very difficult to stain. If you are planning to make a stained wood kitchen cabinet made of ponderosa, then you can buy pre-stained wood in hardware stores.
- Maple is well-known for its adaptability. It can be stained in any color and still keep its natural wood grain. Because the material and manufacturing is found and done in Asia, wood kitchen cabinets made of maple wood are more cost-effective than its pine and oak counterparts.
4. Cherry wood is more expensive than maple. Surprisingly, many homeowners still choose to pay the high price just to have cherry wood kitchen cabinetsdecorate their kitchens. Cherry wood changes color over time; turning from a light color to darkred which is its natural hue. In the long run, you save money from repainting your wood kitchen cabinet.
5. Mahogany wood kitchen cabinets are rare. Considered as the world’s premier wood, it is obviously for homeowners with enough budget to pay the extra cost. The extra cost, however, is made up by the durability of the material which can handle the busy activities in the kitchen. Mahogany wood kitchen cabinets are also very low maintenance because mahogany does not show any huge amount of damage. Some types of mahogany wood, however, darken over time which might not be an ideal wood kitchen cabinet color for some homeowners.
Knowing the types of materials used in making wood kitchen cabinets can help you in deciding the style of your kitchen. These woods are also used to make other wooden furniture such as vanity tables and bed so this is also helpful in calculating the budget needed if you plan to remodel or buy your own house.
For more ideas and choices for cheap kitchen cabinets, please visit www.stockcabinetexpress.com